Saturday, February 5, 2011

Science, Destroyer of Creativity? I think not!

So here we go again.

I haven't blogged in a while, but I'm back. This is simply a topic that I can't be silent about.

Now I know many people think science is a close minded way of thinking but to the contrary.

I'm going off of something a friend of mine said, "I'm surprised you're going into an applied arts program, you think with science, so you always think inside the box, most artists are religious because they aren't inhibited by only what's real."

Now I must say.. It's not that I lack an imagination.. it's simply that I don't call things that have no evidence, fiction. And I enjoy fiction very much.. usually in the form of anime and video games.

However what interested me was the comparison that was brought up. Science is narrow minded, but religion is not..

BLASPHEMY!!!

Science is by far the most open minded field in all of existence. You can claim whatever you like, you're in no matter limited to only what the books say. The only catch is that if you want to claim that something is true. You need to back up your claim with facts. If science has a theory, and newfound facts contradict the theory, science revises the theory.

On the other hand, religion is pretty much as close minded as things get. One is not allowed to question it, one is not allowed to challenge it, one is not allowed to present evidence against it. No matter what kind of evidence one presents it doesn't change it's delusions. It claims to be the absolute truth, and it won't alter it's stance until it's PR is in danger. If one presents contradictory facts to a religion, the religion simply says. "This book is the book of truth, and I'd rather believe the word of some bronze age writers than the meticulous work of scientists who have access to much more knowledge and better equipment. Since this book was written by my imaginary friend, I will throw out the facts that are in front of my face."

There's also another difference.
We need Science, but we'd be better off without Religion.

Just compare the amount of suffering that has been a result of listening to authority and absolute truths without first questioning them. Science has progressed to make our lives better. Yes, the increased technology has lead to more lethal weapons.. but it's our imaginary friends, and our irrational pride, statism, and piety that leads to those weapons being used.

Whether it be the word of gods, god kings, or whatever. Question everything, doubt everything, scrutinize everything. If they can back up their claims good for them. However, in most cases when someone tells you not to question something, it's because, they don't actually have the answers.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your closing statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Religion is one of the factors that makes people behave in a civilized manner. Without it there would mayhem and there would be no fear in peoples' mind to deter them from doing the wrong things. However there are people who in spite of religion act immorally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. However, there is a system for civilized behavior that does not require religion. In fact, countries that are less religious have lower murder/crime rates.

    ReplyDelete